Matisse vs Kirchner
Matisse’s painting: 1907
Kirchner’s painting: 1909?
Kirchner claimed to never have seen any of Matisse’s work.
In 1909 there was a Matisse exhibit in Dresden, where The Bridge lived and worked. That same year he sent his friend a post card and wrote in his own handwriting “Matisse is brilliant”
Throughout his career Kirchner tried to make his style look earlier. He would also push the dates of his paintings back up to 6 years. Which is why it’s hard to say exactly when some of his works were painted.
Kirchner also took claim for starting The Bridge, which ultimately led to the disbandment of the group.
- suspiria-de-profundis likes this
- wine-loving-vagabond likes this
- bolkonska reblogged this from arthistoryx
- janelasemgelosia reblogged this from arthistoryx
- andmymouthisanhourglassofblood likes this
- moonsmilk likes this
- quasiumano likes this
- paintingsilike likes this
- likeghosts reblogged this from arthistoryx
- ubu507 likes this
- fibbingfeud likes this
- rhaasta likes this
- arthistoryx posted this